Get 50% off your 1st & 2nd order when you subscribe (pause or cancel anytime). Use code DOUBLE50 T&Cs

4 things to know about Adenomyosis

Adenomyosis is a condition in which the lining of the uterus breaks through the muscle wall of the uterus. We’ve put together an overview of things to know about Adenomyosis.

If you follow us on socials, you will know we’re all about raising awareness of reproductive health conditions. These can have a huge impact on our everyday health and wellbeing. By not talking openly about menstruation, vaginas and menstrual health, it sends a negative message. It means symptoms can go unnoticed and conditions are under-diagnosed.

So, we want to make a difference and keep our community informed. In this blog, we’re looking at the condition Adenomyosis.  Here is an overview of this condition:

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms can range from mild to severe and not everyone will get symptoms. According to the NHS the most common symptoms of Adenomyosis include:

Heavy, painful and irregular periods

Pelvic pain and a feeling of ‘heaviness/discomfort’ in the pelvis before your period

Who can get Adenomyosis?

It’s estimated around 1 in 10 menstruators have Adenomyosis. It can happen to anyone who gets periods, and at any age (current NHS Advice suggests it’s mostly seen in patients between 40-50 years old). It should naturally stop after menopause.

Is this the same as Endometriosis?

Endometriosis is a condition in which cells like the ones found in the lining of the womb are found elsewhere in the body. It’s most commonly found in the pelvis, fallopian tubes, on the outside of the womb or ligaments. But it can also be found in the bowel, bladder, intestines, vagina and rectum.  If the endometrial tissue grows in the muscle layer of the wall of the womb, then this is Adenomyosis.

Therefore, it’s a similar condition, but not the same. Some menstruators can have both Endometriosis and Adenomyosis. It’s estimated Adenomyosis is found in approx 10% of menstruators with Endometriosis.

It’s important to consult your GP or gynaecologist if you have any concerns over your reproductive health.

Seeking help from a GP

It’s important to consult your GP or gynaecologist if you have any concerns over your reproductive health. Your period can signify a health concern. It’s crucial to monitor and chart your cycle to understand the length of your cycle, menstrual flow, PMS symptoms etc. Don’t suffer in silence.  If you have any health concerns, then voice these to your GP to get further support or testing. If you chart your symptoms over time to notice patterns, changes etc, this will help when communicating your concerns with a Doctor.

For more menstrual health reading, check out this blog on Endometriosis by our consultant Gynaecologist, Dr Anne Henderson. Or for a first-person story, check out this blog by Jo about living with menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding).



Create account

Having issues managing your subscriptions? Click here

Your bag (0)

Get FREE UK shipping when you subscribe or spend over £10

Your basket is currently empty.

Return to shop

A little something extra?

Skip to Checkout

Gift a pack of pads to charity

Gift a pack of pads to period dignity charity, Binti International

BKTYV Mirror

Break the stigma with our ‘Be Kinder To Your Vagina’ mirror

Period Powerful Mirror

Make a Period Powerful statement with our cosmetic mirror


Skip to Checkout